Sunday, September 11, 2016

Rookie Advice

The title of this blog is a tip of the cap to my first boss in the energy business, Paul Pinkham.

The phrase "Thought while shaving..." often appeared on the top of notes he would leave us with suggestions or ideas about a project we were working on or one he wanted us to take up.

It's ironic for me, because I've had a beard for 40 years and, as a result, don't have much time to think while shaving. I don't believe anyone in my family would recognize me without hair on my face. At this point, I'm not even sure my Mother or brothers would remember without looking at photos.

Since I was a rookie in the communications business, Paul had a great influence on my early career. Another one of his favorites phrases that I recall on a regular basis was: "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery."

I make a point to share that with all my staff and students and most seem ready to fall out of their chairs when hearing it. (Figuratively)

But, he didn't mean it literally.

It was his very effective way of saying "do the research." Before writing the quarterly financial statement; the yearly press release on preparing for winter, or even the CEO's letter in the Annual Report, look back and see what was done before. Check out what other utility companies were writing in similar situations. Then develop your own approach and message. He was giving us permission not to struggle.

(I suppose he could have said "don't reinvent the wheel," but that's not quite as memorable.)

I also admired Paul because as a life-long company employee, he worked his way up from selling appliances back when utilities owned stores to VP of Corporate Communications. His talent and experience, however, was not always appreciated by those who went through the revolving door of higher level senior management. But he was comfortable in his own skin and confident in his ability. Paul was always the last one standing when the latest hot shot senior VP moved on.

A quick shout out is also in order for another colleague of mine from those days, Bernie Mendillo, an accomplished author and playwright. I recently started receiving links on social media to Bernie's blog at this site and thought maybe this was an avenue for me, as well.

Time will tell...



.









No comments:

Post a Comment