Thursday, April 23, 2020

They say it's your birthday

If you told a much younger me that I would celebrate another year of senior citizenship pretty much confined to my home as the country and the world battled a pandemic, I would have questioned the timeline of your crystal ball.

Those kinds of things happened in other centuries. But the 21st? Nah....

But, here I am.  I'm turning 67 and part of an age group that they say has the most to fear from Covid-19.

I've convinced myself that I don't look 67. People who haven't seen me in a while always say that I "never change."

I also don't think I act 67. I seem to have a good rapport with my college age students and the somewhat younger people I work with at our real estate office. Though to be honest, Mari has told me for years that I was "old before my time."

I guess I never really paid much attention to my age as the days and then years piled up. Too busy with family, work, teaching, and politics to notice.

But now I'm struck by the randomness of life -- and how lucky I am -- as Covid's toll has risen. Spring-breakers; middle-agers; the "elderly;" first responders, health care workers, and grocery store employees - no one seems to be exempt from its wrath.

I know everything is part of the Eternal Plan. But this is a real puzzler. I suppose we'll get the answer when...well, you know...

We're fortunate. Cape Cod is not heavily populated this time of year and it's relatively easy to maintain social distancing when leaving the house for groceries or take out. We know some out of the way beaches where we can get a breath of clean, fresh ocean air without running into crowds. My two places of employment have shifted to virtual operations so technology allows me to function, as if I were in the office or on campus.

On the positive side, the current situation has forced me to learn about technologies like Zoom and similar products that I wasn't all that familiar with. I'm also trying to get better at editing videos, as virtual open houses and showings will no doubt be popular, even when we're finally cleared to resume usual activities.

I'm notorious for never quite finishing a book. While I still have a few in limbo, over the last few weeks I've been reaching the end of the last chapter more than usual.

I've even sat still long enough the watch a few movies. I've seen Trolls World Tour twice...

...and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've even watched a Hallmark move.

As the virus rampages on, I take comfort in the fact that I've been blessed with good health and pretty good genes. My Mom lived to be nearly 91. Her mother was 80. My Dad was 78. The folks who handle our "investments," say that the actuarial tables predict that I should make it to my 90s. I can only hope and pray that, if I do, I'll know where I am; who I am, and be in control of the majority of my important bodily functions.

I know thisAs I get older, I have to resist the temptation to be too concerned about when the first shoe and then the proverbial other shoe will drop. And I definitely have to stay away from WebMD. Now more than ever.

I have a lot to live for. Mari and I have much more to accomplish professionally and personally. Our granddaughter just turned 8 and I'm not going to miss seeing her grow up.

So, it's onward through a year that so far we'd like to forget. I'm actually looking forward to turning 68.

It means I survived being 67.


No comments:

Post a Comment