Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Next Chapter

I've been surprised at how easy it has been to adjust to "retirement."

I've written before about how I "got retired" from a job that I truly enjoyed and hoped to still be working at today.

I honestly thought that I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into this latest chapter of my  life. Right now, retirement for me is best defined as not working full time in the traditional sense.

I'm the associate in Mari Sennott and Associates, my wife's very successful real estate practice. I'm teaching part-time at a state university about 30 minutes off-Cape and continue to do the occasional organizational communications seminar at a large Rhode Island non-profit.

So, I haven't joined the daily round of golf and a nap crowd yet. But, I've settled into this somewhat non-regimented life style easier than I anticipated.

I'm sure one of the reasons is that I just don't have the energy I used to, which is hard to admit. It seems as if it wasn't that long ago I wouldn't shut off the TV until I saw Johnny Carson's and later Jay Leno's monologue.

Now with our granddaughter's 9:00pm bed time I'm quite comfortable turning in at that hour, too -- whether she's staying with us or not.

So, I can't tell you what goofy things Jimmy Fallon did last night.  And don't ask me about Saturday Night Live. Even if I stayed up, chances are I wouldn't know who the host or musical guest was. The latter is a little discouraging, as I promised a younger me that I would always be cool and keep up with the latest music and trends.

But what's been hardest about this newest phase of life is seeing Father Time catch up -- not only with those generations removed from me -- but friends much closer in age and shared experience.

My Mother's best friend -- the last person she wanted to see in addition to the priest before she died -- passed away herself a week or so ago. Mary was literally the last of a generation of friendships that began more than 50 years ago.

We learned last week of the passing of a good Attleboro friend and a loyal colleague of mine when we served together on the City Council in the 1980's. Tony and I lost touch over the years, but Mari and I have fond memories of spending time with him and his wife at countless political events; enjoying dinner and drinks at Jerimar's (Mari's Dad's restaurant), and having breakfast together on Saturday mornings, when we arrived to take control of the Dennisport cottage that we rented on successive weeks. (It was owned by our local State Rep., who was an ally and friend to Tony and me.)

Thirty one years ago Tony also assured Mari I was not as "old" as she thought I was and that I would be fun to date.

I don't think I ever thanked Tony for that vote of confidence...

...which is yet another reminder that when you reach a certain age, it's important to have all your affairs in order. Not just the legal stuff, but being sure that the things that need to be said are said to those who need to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment